Communication and Interpreting Needs of Refugees in Arrival and Initial Reception Situations
We are pleased to invite you to a round table discussion as part of the Erasmus+ project ReTrans (Working with Interpreters in Refugee Transit Zones: Capacity building and awareness-raising for higher education contexts under the Erasmus+ Programme) in cooperation with the Department of Migration and Globalisation at the University of Continuing Education Krems.
Moderated by Friedrich Altenburg, MSc (University of Continuing Education Krems), we want to explore the following questions together with our panelists and guests:
- What communication needs do refugees have when they arrive in Austria?
- What role does translation (interpreting, translating) play here?
- How do institutions work together with interpreters?
The panelists are:
- Doro Blancke from Doro Blancke Flüchtlingshilfe, https://doroblancke.at
- Claudia Lui, Diakonie Flüchtlingsdienst, https://www.diakonie.at
- Abbas Salamat, journalist and interpreter for Arabic, Dari and Farsi
- Florian Gravogl, WITAF – services for the deaf, www.witaf.at
- BBU – Federal Agency for Care and Support Services GmbH, https://www.bbu.gv.at
- Yannick Wagner, Train of Hope – refugee aid, http://www.trainofhope.at
10 January 2023 from 13:15-14:45
The event is held in German. Interpreting is available: into Ukrainian, speech-to-text interpreting, Austrian sign language.
You can participate in the event
via Zoom or on site (seminar room 9, Gymnasiumstraße 50, 1190 Vienna).
Please register for the event at
The event will take place on 10 January 2023 from 13:15-14:45 in seminar room 9, Gymnasiumstraße 50, 1190 Vienna.
The event is held in German.
Interpreting is available: into Ukrainian, speech-to-text interpreting, Austrian sign language.
You can participate in the event via Zoom or on site. Please register for the event on the website at https://forms.office.com/e/E9gcDiaRzh
After registration you will receive a confirmation email with the link for the meeting.
We are looking forward to the discussion.